Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Boy Do I Love Whistling... & other language finds

I read a few chapters in my Linguistic Encyclopedia for one of my classes about the definition of language and the different kinds: body language, how Bees communicate by dances, etc.


Here were a few weird finds!


Since I adore whistling, I can't imagine- it would be incredible to communicate via whistling. I could type bits from my book... but thank the lord for wikipedia :)
Whistling Language! [Click]


Also, most people in the world lift their eyebrows so quickly (1/6 of a second) in order to let another person know that they want to approach them and begin a conversation.  The only group that really does not demonstrate this is the Japanese.  Otherwise it is seen across all cultures. 


Showing humility also means many different things in other languages.  Some people put their arms outward and clap, some lay on the ground, roll around and slap the outside of their thighs.  Others walk on all 4s... How humble!


This video was discovered by my lovely roommate, Dee, on stumbleupon.com.  If you have never visited stumble upon, definitely give it a look.  That is, only if you don't have anything you really need to do right now because it is perfect for procrastination. But you are reading this blog, so you probably have a little time on your hands right now! :)


Dancing hands. It's all in their faces.
[Click here for dancin' hands!] *It's all in their faces!


No comments:

Post a Comment